Tuesday, October 25, 2011

First Therapy Session

After several weeks of paperwork and evaluation, we started speech therapy today!

Back in August I called the Westchester County Health Department for the Early Intervention Program. A few days later I was contacted by a lovely woman named Barbara, who helped me get started with the process.

Even though my daughter is automatically eligible for the program because she was born with a cleft palate, we had to do a ton of paperwork. Barbara helped me with that, contacted some evaluators for me and set up my meeting with a woman from the health department.

Two weeks ago it was decided that she would have therapy twice a week. So the hunt for a therapist began.

Another Barbara became our case worker, and she contacted several organizations in the area searching for the perfect therapist for us. I think she did a great job because I absolutely love ours and how she interacts with my daughter!


Sorry for the terrible picture by the way, I can't find my camera and am stuck using my iPhone until I can find it or replace it!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nikki. New follower, found you on bloggy moms. Thought I'd stop by and say hello. I am glad you are moving forward with speech therapy. Some of those case workers are just amazing. We had to get an organization involved when my father was ill and his case worker arranged all kinds of things we didn't even know existed. Made caring for him at home so much easier. Hope you have a great day. Feel free to pop by my blogs if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nikki! Found you on Bloggy Moms too. Hope you'll follow back at www.mommywithselectivememory.blogspot.com. I'm so glad that you've found good therapy for your little one. I can't imagine how hard it must be to see a little one struggle. Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear you have things moving forward for her. In no time she will be talking up a storm. Lots of love to Nana's little girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet baby! I was a military mom for a very long time. I am happy you found a therapist that you feel good about. I am your newest follower from Bloggy Moms! Stop over sometime!


    Saving Your Green

    ReplyDelete